Saturday 16 October 2010

Helvetica. Period.


I finally got around to watching Helvetica in it's entirety recently after only ever watching it in the background whilst I'm working or little bits here and there. Now, for me, it's a fantastic film. It may be a bit geeky and it may not be to everyones taste but I loved it. It is brilliantly shot with a great soundtrack that I think brings alive what could be quite a dull subject matter to those who aren't particularly interested in typography or design. I actually think it is so well made that it could fairly easily cross over and interest the 'non-graphical' public as it is generally a very captivating documentary. There are some great interviews with design legends such as Wim Crouwel, Massimo Vignelli, Neville Brody and some fantastic insights into the minds of Erik Spiekermann and Michael Bierut. A much see for designers and interested public alike.

(Just a little extra: check out El Ten Eleven who provided a lot of music to the soundtrack.)



No comments:

Post a Comment